Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hey Lena......

How are you sweetie??? I've miss you and it was so good to
hear your voice and laugh yesterday....i know it's hard to hold
back from laughing too loud (especially at your mom) while
your in the library!! It's always been very hard for me to hold
back in quiet places.....I used to get in trouble for giggling in
church all the time when we had weekly masses in grade school.
And sometimes it still can cause problems.....two weeks ago I told
a funny story to a co-worker before doing a couples facial and just
one look at her during the treatment and I started to lose it!! At
first I pretended I was having an 'allergy' attack...excused myself,
and then started shaking....then convulsing......and then busted out
laughing.......and LUCKILY....BOTH the clients and my co-worker did
as well......it was soooooo good for all of us.........so bust out that
joyous spirit of yours sweet girl.....it's in your blood.....pure joy;)))

I love you,
momxoxo below is the recipe you wanted for Bechamel sauce to go
on top of the frozen Pastitsio.....I would take the Pastitsio out of the
freezer about an hour before so it can thaw.

Bechamel Sauce by Kristin Efthimiou
(thick style)

1 stick butter
1/4 cup flour (generous 1/4 cup)
2 eggs
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp sugar
a pinch of nutmeg
3 cups milk (or a tad more if needed)

In a med sauce pan melt butter over low heat. When butter is completely
melted add all of flour with metal wisk until you have made a smooth
creamy texture. Add milk and continue to stir over medium heat. Do not
leave unattended or flour/butter mixture may clump or burn on bottom....
you are trying to achieve a type of creamy sauce here. Once milk thickens
with flour/butter (roux) take off stove and let sit for 10 min to cool off. Once
mixture has cooled down a bit, stir in 2 eggs. This will give a beautiful yellow
hue to the sauce and help it rise a bit in the oven. Then add a pinch salt, 1/2
tsp sugar and nutmeg.........pour over Pastitsio and top with parmesean cheese.
It's a bit advanced, but an essential in every cooks kitchen......love ya!!!XOXO